Designed to support the integration of outdoor learning and future growth.
The Center School, a private school serving pre-school through eighth grade, hired DEW to build a brand new educational facility across
town from the school’s original location. Situated on 30 acres with wetlands, woods, streams, and meadows the new site provides ample opportunities for the integration of outdoor learning.
The 22,000 sf, one-story building’s exterior and interior wood-framed, load-bearing walls support steel bar joist and acoustical metal decking with EPDM roofing.
Additional Design Features:
- Each classroom has access to the outdoors – benefiting the school’s model of students spending one to three hours outside each day.
- An all-purpose room in the center of the building opens into a courtyard.
- Natural daylighting throughout the building minimizes the use of artificial lighting.
- The building is heated and cooled via electric-powered systems.
- Daylight harvesting sensors and Photovoltaic panels on the roof increase energy efficiency.